You’ve heard all of the complaints:
- The Rangers can’t score!
- They have so much talent (allegedly) but their offense is stagnant and their power play is putrid.
- They are a team of second-fiddles being paid first-fiddle money.
And the retorts?
- Renney is a defense-first coach.
- This team will win with solid goaltending and solid defense.
- Drury and Gomez might not score 25 goals, but they add so much on the defensive end (and gosh, Drury is just soooo clutch!)
Well, the team that gave up 10 goals to Dallas was absolutely abysmal. At one point, Joe Micheletti even called out the Rangers for too much stick-checking and not enough body-checking. Welcome to the 2008-2009 season Joe! I’ve only been saying that all freakin’ year. If Joe notices it, it has to be reallllly egregious.
And that was the effort the Rangers put forth after stinking out the joint on Graves night? THAT was the best they could muster after Renney put the team through a “wake UP people!” puck-less practice??
You could see it in the effort. You could see it in the body language. This team has quit on Renney. Let’s hope they haven’t quit on the season.